By Jim Turner, Chair of Citizens for Health
Over the next two or three weeks, as Congress begins focusing its attention on several issues that affect natural health and organic food consumers, we at Citizens want to be careful of your time and resources.
We would like to hear from you about how frequently you want to hear from us. If you suffer from TMI (too much information) from us let us know. We’ll cut back on what we send you. In the mean time here are some issues you will be hearing about from us:
• The most sweeping reform of food safety in fifty years is about to hit the Senate floor. Unfortunately it is very likely to pass even though it lacks effective measures to address many serious concerns about food safety such as:
– feeding of slaughter house waste to animals
– the use of antibiotics and hormones in feed to promote animal growth
– the spread of GMO’s (genetically modified organisms in food)
– the presence of pesticide residue in food
– the failure to require labeling of food that use radiation, GMO’s antibiotics, hormones, and pesticide residue in their manufacture.
Each of these failings leaves a serious potential source of food born disease unaddressed. We will inform you as aspects of the food safety debate as this legislation moves through the Senate, the House Senate Conference and toward the President’s signature. Specifically we want to inform you of the efforts of some advocates who are proposing changes to the bill which we support. Here are two of them: